Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Giving is not always physical

This month I am trying to do something to give back to the world around me every day. It's not always easy.

At first, I thought giving meant that I had to physically give up something. Money, clothes, food, etc. Then I realized that sometimes giving is not always physical.

Lately at work I have found that people have really been testing my limits. How far can they push not doing their job without me saying anything. Being a supervisor, I have to make sure that I am doing what is best for those I supervise and the operation around me. I have found myself getting frustrated and irritated by the tests that people place in front of me on a daily basis.

In going with the theme of my month of giving, I decided that I would simply be happy, no mater what is thrown at me, when I am at work. I will go through my entire day with a smile. I will ask people how their day is or if there is anything I can do for them to help them make their day easier.

Since I started doing this, I often find myself just doing things that people have told me, make their jobs easier. I will do some small tasks that will help them get their tasks done quicker. I will go out of my way to make the work area cleaner or tidier.

I have also learned the value of a smile. A smile is the simplest form of happiness. It also happens to be extremely contagious. By smiling throughout my entire day, others begin to smile. I also look approachable. I find that I am having better conversations and that things are progressing more.

Are there still people who cause me frustration at work? Of course. Do I let it get to me? Not as much as I used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment