Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Free coffee for voters

I've done many different things to give these past 6 days. I will write a separate post to catch everyone up on days 2-5 later.

I want to share what I did today.

This morning I got up at 7 and got to the polls at 8:20. After spending 2 hrs in a chilly rain, I finally got to vote. I expected a wait so I brought a book and some coffee. Others did not and spent the time on their phones or daydreaming.

After I voted I decided to put a little cheer in the line.

I drove to the nearest Starbucks and bought 2 boxes of coffee. The lady told me it would serve 24 but I insisted she give me extra cups. I headed back to the polls.

I hopped out of my car and started in the back of the line, they would be waiting the longest. And I started asking people if they wanted free coffee. Some were skeptical and some thought I was trying to sell Starbucks, but finally someone asked me, "how much?"

I replied, "It's free. I spent two hrs in the rain this morning waiting to vote. I wanted to make the wait a little easier for others."

Once people heard that they were a little more accepting. I was able to give out 30 cups of coffee and I still have half a box left. I was even called a "coffee angel".

My friend Ryan was in line and snapped this picture. I posted it to Facebook with this:

After spending 2 hrs waiting in line to vote today, I decided that I would buy some coffee for everyone else who ha to wait 2+ hrs in line. I bought 2 Starbucks boxes of coffee and sure it may have cost me about $30. But I made 30 people in that long line happy. Sure I may not be going to Jellyrolls, or out to eat, or even getting those colored napkins for my wedding, but I really made an impression on people.

Not everyone gets the right to vote. We do. So I just wanted to say thank you for everyone taking a few hours out of their day to vote.

Happy Election Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment