Friday, October 19, 2012

Challenges to doing good

I have been thinking a lot about how I am going to go about completing my works. The more I think about it, the more lazy I feel. I feel helpless. But that is no excuse. There is no excuse for not doing something as simple as smiling or listening. There is no excuse for being lazy.

I was talking to my dad today about my fundraising efforts for the Making Strides for Breast Cancer walk I am doing tomorrow. I was telling him how I was just a few dollars away from my goal and I asked if he wouldn't mind helping.

His response:

"Well, I already gave but..."

Why do we find it so hard to give again. I can understand if it is a question of money. But is there not $1 we can spare?

Do we walk around saying, "Well I already smiled today but I guess I can smile at you too"?

How silly does this sound. Why is it so hard for us to always be givers? Is it our culture? Is it the way we were raised? Is it the worry that in giving all we have, we may lose all that we have? Or are we simply just lazy?

I don't have the answers to these questions. At least not yet.

What I do know is this. I am working on my list. I want to make a difference. I want to be able to give EVERYTHING I have.

Tomorrow I am walking a 5K for Breast Cancer. As of tonight I have been able to raise $205! That's pretty good. I am walking with a bunch of people that I don't know all that well and I can't wait to hear everyone's stories. I am hoping that in doing this as well, that I can be inspired to give more.

Stay tuned.... I will post my list once I have a good amount of things on it.

Until then, I encourage you all to do one extraordinary thing each day. I know I'll be working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment